|I. Type of computers
a. Cell Phones
e. Main Frame
f. Super Computer
1. IBM supercomputer name
g. Parallel Processing
a. field - attribute - validation rule main unit of database
5. Boolean - yes/no
b. Record - tuple
d. Relational Database Management System
1) one to many
2) one to one
3) many to many
4) referential integrity
5) cascade update
6) cascade delete
1) report header
2) page header
3) report footer
4) report footer
5) group header - up to ten
6) group footer - up to ten
1) dynamic date sheet
format- picture of what data is suppose to look like.
j. Normalization - data redundancy - repeating
k. Primary Key - unique, 1st index, not null
III. File formats
a. Howard Alken
Packet sniffer is a computer program that monitor data as it travels
HTTP - Hyper text transfer program
HTML - Hyper text markup language
SSL - secure sockets layer) encrypts the data that travels between a
clinet computer and an HTTP server.
Internet Backbone - network of high capacity communications links
that provided the main routes for data traffic.
Dial up access is the
least expensive and slowest.
ISP - internet service proveider
Domain Names must have an IP address
Domain Names are stored on a
number of computers.
WiFi - wireless access to the internet.
Wimax will make enhancements of wifi unnecessary.
Grid Computing -
network of diverse computers in which each computer contributes
processing resources to solving a single problem.
Server side scripting executes on the server. Active Server Pages ASP
Client side scripting executes on the client. Java
Cookies is a small chunk of data generated by a web server and allow a
we site to store information on the client computer for later retrieval.
Broken link is link whose source has changed.
CGI (common gateway interface) is a set of specifications or standards
for how servers can handle a variety of HTTP requests.
XFORMS -provide an alternative to html form and offer more
flexibility that html forms and interface with xml documents.
a.HTTP - hyper text transfer protocol
1) Socket is abstract concept that represents one end of a
2) http allows only one request and response per session.
3) Port 80-HTTP traffic, Port 25-SMTP, Port 21 -FTP
4) logical port is designated by software.
5) some web server software allows access to mulitiple IPs at the
6) Cookie is a small chunk of data generated by web server.
7) cookie is only accessible by the web site that created it , does
not get data from your computer and does not user your name for
identification but assigns a random number. Unwanted cookies can be
b. HTTP editors
1) any ascii editor - note pad
2) word processor save as web page
3) web authoring software - FrontPage, Dreamweaver,
c. FTP - file transfer protocol - bypasses operating systems or file
management systems and allows remote users to change file names and
d. HTML- hypertext Markup Language
1. Tags <> case insensitive - some like uppercase for opening and
lower case for closing tags.
3. <img src="?"> graphic hyperlink GIF,PNG,JPEG, BMP keep them
e. SSL - secure sockets layer- encrypts data
f. TLS -
transport layer security - encrypts data
g. S-HTTP - simply encrypts
the text of an http message before it is sent.
BMP supports true color -non compressed takes most storage space.
PCX - 8 bit (256 colors) auto compression.
JPEG - Joint Photographic Experts Group has built in compression
GIF- Graphics Interchange Format - can be displayed in multiple formats
- 256 colors
PNG- Portable network graphic -48 bit true color- trillions of colors
TIFF - Tag Image File Format - scanners and digital camera
4) <body> contain the page
5) <H1> to<h6> are heading tags
6) Style sheet (template) contains controls for the layout and
design of page
7) Table very useful for position data on web page.
8) Frame - like a picture frame for holding and displaying multiple
1) Internal - same page require target
2) External - page outside of web site
3) interpage - same site different page
4) Mailto: e-mail hyperlink.
5) Broken link - link that does not work
f. Helper application extends a browser ability to work with file
1. Plug in are a type of helper application. <embed
g. DHTML - dynamic HTML - allows web page appearance to change
independent of server.
h. XML - extensible markup language - structured data into a text field.
Uses tags to define fields of data.
i. XSL - extensible style sheet language crate customized tags that
control the display of the data in a xml document.
j/ XHTML - authors can add new tags to those that already exist.
a. RFP - request for proposal
b. RFQ - request for quotation.
c. System Development
Undo - go back to the previous status - delete previous actions
Redo - go back and redo an action.
Atanasoff-berry computer - first to use vacuum tubes. Germany 1940 -
Hitler so no practical use for it.
Colossus - used to decode German enigma. 1943
Eniac use to calculate trajectory tables for the US army. 1945 Vacuum
UNIVAC first commercial computer 1951 Vacuum tubes
Life cycle of typical hardware:
a. Product development
c. Introduction - roll out of product
1. Information's system collects, stores, and processes data to
provide useable information.
2. Organization is group of people working together to accomplish a
3. Mission statement describes goals, method of accomplishing the goal.
4. Organizational chart depicts the hierarchy of employees in a typical
5. Worker carry out the mission
6. Managers determine goals and plans to achieve goals.
7. Strategic planning is long-range - high level managers
8. tactical planning - midlevel managers.
9. operational planning - low level managers
10. structured problem - everyday, run of the mill routine
11. semi structured problem - less routine
12. unstructured problem requires human intuition to solve
13. internal information generated within organization
14. external information generate outside the organization.
VAR - Value Added Reseller
Expert systems is a computer system
designed to analyze data and produce a recommendation. -knowledge based
|Business practices Glossary
||business process reengineering
||Customer relationship management
||Enterprise Application Integration
||Electronic Data Interchange
||Enterprise Resource Planning
||Just in time
||Manufacturing Resourse Planning
||Total Quality Management
15. Management Information system type of information system that users
the data collected bya transaction processing system.
16. Summary report combines groups of data with totals often
17. Exception report contain information that is outside of normal or
18. Scheduled reports follow a fixed format and time line.
19. ad hoc report customized report generated to supply specific
information not available in scheduled reports.
20. TPS records data
21. Decision support system make decisions by directly manipulating
22. decision model is a numerical representation of a realistic
23. Expert system is a computer system designed to analyze data and
produce a recommendation. Knowledge based system.
24. fuzzy logic allows a expert system to deal with imprecise data.
25. Neural network simulate the way a brain might process data.
Spread Sheet -
Work book is 255 columns (A to IV) by 65,356 rows by 255 sheets
Cell is referenced by Column and Row- PageDown, PageUp, Alt-PageUP, Alt-PageDown,
Ask you to select chart type
Ask you to select data to be graphed
Ask you to input main title
Ask you to input x axis title
Ask you to input y axis title
Ask you to select legend
Can select to display grids both vertical and horizontal
tic mark in graph represent data intervals
Pointer (mouse) is a plus sign that is white and fat
Pointer (mouse) for auto fill is a plus sign that is black and thin
Formulas and functions all begin with a =
There are numerous functions in excel and they can be nested inside of
The arguments to the functions are generally cell ranges.
Back Ground Image - single sheet, all sheets
Relative Relationship Copy
Absolute Reference Copy- F4
Mixed Reference Copy
Range of cell in formula or function =SUM(A5:C5, D12, E1:E20)
Alignment Default Value
Save As allow us to rename a work book
It is important to consider the size of your power point presentation
when saving to a floppy disk.
Slide Sorter View
Pure Black and White
Presentation can be modified in outline pane or slide pane
Promote by decrease indent
Slide rules - used through the 60's by students in science.